Business Visitor


If you are a business visitor and plan to visit Canada temporarily to look for ways to grow your business, invest, or advance your business relationships. In addition to providing business visitor immigration services, we also offer specialized services to facilitate your visit such as meeting arrangements, site visits, networking and business solutions.

If you are a business visitor, you may need to apply for an eTA or a visa to come to Canada.  It is important to plan in advance and apply for the proper immigration documents in a timely manner. 

Business Visitor activities can include:

  • buying Canadian goods or services for a foreign business or government,
  • taking orders for goods or services,
  • going to meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs,
  • giving after-sales service (managing, not doing hands-on labour),
  • being trained by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada,
  • training employees of a Canadian branch of a foreign company or
  • being trained by a Canadian company that has sold you equipment or services.

As a business visitor, you must show that:

  • you plan to stay for less than six months,
  • you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market, 
  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits, is outside Canada, 
  • you have documents that support your application and
  • you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements, because you 
  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • have enough money for your stay and to return home,
  • plan to leave Canada at the end of your visit and 
  • are not a criminal, security or health risk to Canadians.

Other agreements:

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, a U.S. or Mexican national may also take part in other activities such as research, marketing and general services. 

You may need a work permit

If you plan to stay longer than six months or plan to work in Canada, you may be considered a temporary worker and have to apply for a work permit.