Work without a Work Permit


It is possible to work in Canada without a work permit if you meet certain criteria. Although you may be able to work without a work permit certain individuals may require a temporary resident visa or an eTA (electronic travel authorization) to enter Canada temporarily.  In addition, it is very important to be prepared with supporting documentation to present to immigration officials upon entering Canada. We can help you with supporting additional documentation and visas if required.

The following work scenarios do not require a work permit:

  • Athletes and team members
  • Assessing farm work
  • Aviation accident or incident inspector
  • Business visitor
  • Civil aviation inspector
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers
  • Crew
  • Emergency service providers
  • Examiners and evaluators
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives 
  • Foreign representatives 
  • Foreign government officers
  • Health care students
  • Implied status
  • Judges, referees and similar officials
  • Military personnel
  • News reporters, media crews
  • Off-campus work
  • Off-campus work (transition to post-graduation status)
  • On-campus employment
  • Performing artists
  • Public speakers
  • Short-term work permit exemption - for certain high-skilled work, NOC O & A
  • 120-day work permit exemption for researchers