Open Work Permit


An open work permit is a work permit which allows a foreign national to work in any job, without restrictions. It does not require an LMIA, or job offer. Once issued, you can work in any location for any employer. 

The following are scenarios where you may be eligible for an open work permit:

  • Spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers and international students
  • International students who recently graduated from a post-secondary institute in Canada and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit program
  • Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada
  • Spouse or common-law partner being sponsored for Permanent Residence through an Inland Spousal Application
  • Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants
  • International Experience Canada (IEC) Candidates (Working Holiday)
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members