Student Visa


To be eligible for a study permit, a student must first be accepted to a designated learning institution (DLI) and have a valid passport or travel document. In addition, some students may require a Temporary Resident Visa and/or an eTA depending on their country of residence or citizenship. 

Finding the right School, College or University and get your study visa

Do you need help finding the right School, College, or University to study at? A Canadian certificate, diploma or degree is recognized globally due to Canada's high academic standards and rigorous quality controls. The standard of living, and affordable education make Canada an ideal place to study. To find out more about the Canadian education structure, click here for an overview. We are here to help you navigate the education system, contact us to find out more. 

Applying for a Study Visa

Once you find the right program of study, have applied for and been accepted to a DLI, and paid your deposit to secure your seat in the program, the next step is to obtain a study permit. 

The documents and proof needed to support your application are as follows:

  • Letter of Acceptance
  • Proof of funds for:
    • Your tuition
    • Living expenses for yourself and any family member who accompany you
    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who accompany you
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record (police certificate may be required)
  • Be in good health (a medical examination may be required)
  • Prove to the immigration officer that you will leave Canada when your studies are completed.
  • Other documents may be required depending on your country or region and other factors. 

Some students may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Citizens of certain countries may require a TRV in order to travel to Canada, while others may require an eTA.

A TRV is an official document issued by an officer that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. An eTA is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport; it too, demonstrates that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

If you need a TRV or an eTA, you do not have to complete a separate application or pay additional fees. It will be issued by the officer at the same time as the documents you need for your entry to Canada as a student.

Renew your Study Permit

You need to extend your study permit at least 30 days before it expires. The expiry date is in the top right corner of your permit. You can’t extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport. If you apply before your permit expires, you can stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until you get a decision. You should apply to extend your study permit if you plan to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling.  If your study permit expires, and you haven’t applied for an extension, you must leave Canada.