Sponsor Your Relatives


You may be able to sponsor certain relatives to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class if you are at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must support your relative financially when they arrive and be able to meet basic needs for yourself and your relative, such as food, shelter, and clothing. In addition, you must make sure your relative does not need social assistance. 

Orphaned Close Relatives

You can sponsor close relatives only if they meet all conditions. This means they must be orphaned and under 18 without a spouse, conjugal partner, or common-law partner. They must be related to you by blood or adoption, such as brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, or grandchildren.

Other Relative (Lonely Canadian Rule)

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the conditions. You do not have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son or daughter, parent, grandparent, brother or sister, uncle or aunt, or nephew or niece. In addition, you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or registered Indian under the Indian Act. 

If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

To be a Sponsor

You can sponsor certain relatives if you are 18 years of age or older, and a

Canadian citizen, or a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada. 

There are certain situation in which you may not be able to be a sponsor. Contact us to find out more.