Post Graduation Work Permit


A post-graduation work permit is a great way for international graduates to stay in Canada after their studies to gain valuable work experience. The great aspect of this work permit is that it is an open work permit, allowing graduates to work in any job, without restrictions.  


To get a post-graduation work permit, you must:

  • be 18 or older at time of application.
  • have continuously studied full-time in Canada in a study program at least eight months long.
  • have a document from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) that confirms you completed and passed all your program requirements.
  • Graduated from an eligible educational institution.
  • apply for a work permit within 90 days of completing your program.
  • have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

There are special cases where you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit such as accelerated programs, transfers between schools, studying part-time during the final academic session, and flight instructors. Contact us to find out more if any of the above scenarios describe you.  

Length of Post-Graduation Work Permit

The length of your post-graduation work permit is valid for depends on the length of your study program. If your program was:

  • less than eight months:
    • you aren’t eligible for a PGWP
  • more than eight months but less than two years:
    • your PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as your study program (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for up to nine months)
  • two years or more:
    • a PGWP may be issued for three years
  • more than one program: 
    • a PGWP may be valid for up to three years, for example, if you finished a diploma or degree from an eligible school in Canada, and within the next two years you get a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible school in Canada.

Permanent Residence

After you studied full-time in a qualifying program and have gained Canadian work experience with your Post-Graduation Work Permit, you could be eligible for Permanent Residence.  Compare programs below to see which program for Permanent Residence might be best for you. It’s never too early to start thinking about your long term future in Canada.