Canadian Experience Class

Students with Canadian work experience can apply through Express Entry for the Canadian Experience Class immigration option.

The Canadian Experience Class is a great program for those with one year of work experience in Canada, and for recent graduates from a Canadian post-secondary institution. If you plan to reside outside of Quebec and would like to immigrate permanently to Canada then this might be a great option for you.

CEC Minimum Requirements

Skilled Work Experience:

You must have at least 12 months of full-time or equal amount part-time Canadian skilled work experience in the last three years before you apply. The work experience must be under National Occupational Classification (NOC) O, A or B, skilled work experience and done with the proper authorization. 

Note: Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (such as on a co-op work term) doesn’t count under this program.


There is no education requirement for Canadian Experience Class. However,  you can earn points for your education under Express Entry if you have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian school and or foreign education with an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.

Note: You will only benefit from getting an ECA if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater.


Meet the language ability by providing an approved language test in English or French that shows you have for NOC 0 or A jobs a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in speaking, listening, reading, and writing, and for NOC B jobs CLB 5 in reading, writing, speaking, and listening. 


Plan to live outside the province of Quebec. 

International Students:

CEC offers international students who graduated from a Canadian post-secondary DLI institution with work experience gained after graduation a great option to apply for Permanent Residence. 

After completing your studies, apply for a post-graduation work permit. Remain in Canada, and after gaining one year of valuable work experience in a full-time skilled, professional or technical job, you may become eligible to apply for Permanent Residence under CEC.