Temporary Resident Visa


Temporary Resident Visa for those from non-Visa Exempt Countries

In order to visit Canada for a short period, and you are from a non-Visa Exempt country, then you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

If you are from a non-Visa Exempt country and plan to visit, work temporarily (individuals with work permits), study (individuals on study permits), or conduct business as a business visitor you will need either a TRV or an eTA. 

In order to be issued a TRV you must satisfy an officer that  you will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for your stay. This authorized period must be temporary, because it applies only to temporary residents. Applicants may intend to eventually apply for permanent residence or, in fact, have an application in process. However, the officer must be satisfied that the applicant will respect the temporary period of stay that will be authorized upon entry.

The foreign national must satisfy both the officer assessing the TRV application, and at the port of entry that they have the ability and willingness to leave Canada at the end of the temporary period authorized, regardless of a future decision with respect to permanent status.